New 3D Print : Life-Sized Pirate Head
I was recently approached by one of my co-workers, Diego Teran, if I could 3d print a zbrush sculpt he’d done of a pirate head. Looking at it, I realized it’d be a perfect candidate to print life-sized on the C-Bot. I’ve done a number of large format prints now (most recent), and am getting comfortable with letting the C-Bot run for extended periods of time.
To start, I did a number of 100mm high versions of the head, and had a back and forth dialog with Diego having him adjust the pose on the head from straight-on to “chin slightly lifted”, so that the only support needed was under the ear-lobes. Happy with the tiny version, I fired off the “big head print” Friday night. On Sunday morning, it had finished:
- 280mm / 11″ tall
- 683g of “Royal Pruple” Gizmodorks PLA, extruded at 225 degs on a woodglue-slurry-coated glass build plate (unheated). Works out to be $17 in material.
- 31 hours, 32 minutes total print time (lol, the print estimate was 24 hours).
- Sliced in Simplify3D, the .gcode came to 69.6 megs.
- 2 shells, 5% ‘fast hexagon’ infill, no raft, supports under the ears only.
- 90mm/sec print speed.
- .6 mm E3d-v6 Volcano nozzle with 150 micron layer heights.
Overall I’m really happy with the results!